Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hip Hop- Less About Actual Art, More about Cash

It is very obvious that one of the most popular genres of music today is rap/hip hop. This is especially true amongst teenagers. Yet, regardless of its popularity, I find certain aspects of the genre appalling. Specifically, raps derogatory lyrics towards women and the all too common ass shaking/ tit bouncing music video.


I would like to preface this by saying I enjoy some hip hop, and think certain artists in the genre are very talented and evidence this through actually creating ART. Yet, I feel that some of these fast talkers (not calling them real artists) just release songs with a beat to just make more benjamins, and therefore it doesn't really matter what the video looks like, so the default hip hop video model is used.

In general this model simply depicts an orgy of woman wearing next to nothing , oiled up and rubbing themselves all over a single male, while inevitably rolling in some cash and drinking excessively.

I am sure there is an ignorant facet of the population who see’s this as perfectly fine and acceptable, and to this group I would suggest you clear your narrow minded world and realize that by being a proponent and supporting imagery that is so misogynistic and harmful to women, you are encouraging gender discrimination against your mothers, daughters, sisters, and every other self-respecting woman.

To women who allow themselves to be portrayed in such a negative sense, self-respect is a wonderful thing and no amount of dollar bills you collect from your “work,” can buy you that.


Rap has definitely evolved over the years, and seems now to represent a lifestyle. This lifestyle talks all about sex, alcohol, and money, essentially creating a glamorous image of the high life. It seems that a central part of this includes a male to female ratio of about one male to six females.

The language used to talk about women says it all. We are either bitches or ho’s, who are good for one sole purpose, which has nothing to do with mental capacity or the articulation of a sentence. It’s all about how hourglass you can be, and how quickly you can spread your thighs to reveal the prize, the one thing you’re good for, PUSSY.

This may seem harsh, but all one needs to do is to look at the popular songs from this genre to realize that this message is delivered to a large population on a daily basis. Contemplate the following lyrics:

From Lil Wayne’s song “Every Girl,” a popular song this past summer:

Uh, I like a long hair thick red-bone open up her legs to filet mignon that pussy I'ma get in an' out that pussy if she let me in, i'ma own that pussy go on' throw it back and bust it open like you 'posed to

I just find it interesting that the male anatomy would NEVER be discussed in such a capacity, and yet it is deemed acceptable to talk about owning and busting open pussy. This is a mild example, yet illustrates the point of female oppression through lyrics, by manipulating the female identity to just a sexual object.

Yet, hip hop also involves lyrics that are not only sexual, but violent. For example, Eminem’s song “Stay Wide Awake”, uses harsh words and references rape.

I sit down beside her like a spider hi there girl you mightaHeard of me before see whore your the girl that ida,Assault and rape and figure why not try to make your pussy wida


This is a disturbing example of a song that definitely shows a sexual and violent tone toward females.

Yet, as previously noted lyrics do not present the only barrier women face in obtaining a fair representation in the hip hop world. The way women are portrayed in music videos, as a sole accessory that is used for pleasure, and provides nothing else to the picture besides a shallow smile and a status quo for rappers.

Here is a video that just shows some clips from a variety of videos:



Make sure to catch the song making reference to 'bitches swallowing'...charming

One former video “talent” named Karrine Steffans, took a stand against the video culture. She was a former video vixen, who was nicknamed Superhead, and slept with all the big rap names from Jay-Z to Usher. She has since taken a stand against her former career and wrote the best-selling book “Confessions of a Video Vixen,” where she gives the following description in the introduction:

Where young girls once aspired to be models and ballerinas, they now aspire to be hip-hop video girls. I sat down to write this book because I think my story can serve as a warning to anyone aspiring to the kind of life I have led.
Like so many young girls, I grew up wanting to be famous. I used to watch television and dream about the Beverly Hills lifestyle seen in all my favorite film. I reached most of my goals, but I didt do it in a conventional way. I did it using the oldest trick in the book. Sex.
I was known as Superhead, the insatiable lover of many Hollywood stars, sports figures, and some of music's most influential performers and executives.
My hips have swayed and popped on MTV while I danced on tabletops and poolside in some of your favorite videos.


The top reason a woman finds herself in a rap video, sprawled undressed over a luxury car while a rapper is saying lewd things about her, is a lack of self-esteem. No one who values, loves, or knows herself would allow herself to be placed in such a degrading position.



(From Google)

For a woman to have been involved in the music video industry so intensely as Steffans, and to then write a tell all, is definitely very powerful and offers much insight that would not be obtained otherwise.

The hip hop culture needs to be broken down and remodeled into something that does not consistently degrade women in almost EVERY VIDEO released. It should be more about art, and making a product that took some time and production value, other than a piece of dental floss for a woman to wear and providing the bed for her to lie on, or the table for her to hump.

African American Feminist Bell Hooks had an interesting perspective on the matter. Below is an excerpt from an article she wrote "Sexism and Misogyny: Who Takes the Rap?", which discussed misogyny in hip hop and patriarchy:

Witness the recent piece by Brent Staples in the "New York Times" titled "The Politics of Gangster Rap: A Music Celebrating Murder and Misogyny." Defining the turf Staples writes: "For those who haven't caught up, gangster rap is that wildly successful music in which all women are `bitches' and `whores' and young men kill each other for sport." No mention of white supremacist capitalist patriarchy in this piece, not a word about the cultural context that would need to exist for young males to be socialized to think differently about gender. Staples assumes that black males are writing their lyrics off in the "jungle," away from the impact of mainstream socialization and desire. At no point in his piece does he ask why huge audiences, especially young white male consumers, are so turned on by this music, by the misogyny and sexism, by the brutality? Where is the anger and rage at females expressed in this music coming from, the glorification of all acts of violence? These are the difficult questions that Staples feels no need to answer.

I agree with Staples assessment, yet also feel Hooks presents a valid perspective. The sexism would not persist if customers did not validate the content, by watching the videos, hanging the posters, and accepting the lyrics.

I challenge all of you to think about the messages being sent through videos and lyrics, especially to teenage males about their views on women, as well as the implications it has on young females who see their gender objectified in this way. It is my hope that “artists” will take a more responsible approach with their music, and will actually put some real consideration into video content, by trying something new and actually creating REAL CONTENT.


Until Next Post,
G.

1 comment:

  1. I had to memorize a song by Lil' Wayne back in the frat. "I see she wearin' them jeans that show her butt crack / my girls can't wear that why? / That's where my stash at." Even as a freshman, I realized how idiotic those words were. Talk about objectifying women, that's using them as a container!

    Of course, frat guys are the prime example of misogyny, so this shouldn't come as a surprise. What has always surprised me is the number of women who enjoy this style of lyrics. It really shows how far standards have fallen where this stuff is acceptable, not only to dumb frat dudes but to women as well.

    Also, http://www.directlyrics.com/akon-sexy-bitch-lyrics.html

    Akon, trying to decide how to describe a lady without being disrespectful, decides on the chorus "Dam girl
    Dam you'se a sexy bitch
    A sexy bitch
    Dam you'se a sexy bitch
    Dam girl"

    Glad you thought that one through, Akon.

    ReplyDelete